When implementing condition-based monitoring in equipment with mission-critical rotating elements, maintenance engineers require large amounts of process data. Contrinex Smart Sensors monitor multiple parameters in real time, including unexpected levels of vibration, increased bearing temperature or irregular radial deflections of a shaft. These highly versatile sensors meet designers’ needs for a flexible, cost-effective solution that maximizes data availability without adding complexity
- Embeddable Smart Sensors monitor multiple parameters including deflection, vibration, temperature, linear position, angular displacement and cycle count
- A single sensor variant provides a range of functions in different locations on a piece of machinery
- Industry-standard IO-Link connectivity provides a single interface to the machine control system
- Dual-channel operation allows the sensor to deliver high-speed notifications directly to the control system if a critical failure occurs
- Cumulative operating data, including temperature profile and operating-cycle count, is recorded in on-board data storage
- Sensor configurations are stored locally, allowing plug-and-play replacement of sensors when needed
- Smart Sensors are ideal for remote locations as proven technology ensures highly reliable fit-and-forget operation with no day-to-day intervention
Specific Product Advantages
- Robust, metal-cased Smart Sensors are ideal for easy integration
- Multi-channel monitoring circuitry allows users to define customized output thresholds
- Sophisticated sensing electronics deliver high-precision analog output signals
- High-speed device-to-device communication enables decentralized data-processing and decision making
- Smart Sensors are individually shielded and EMC immune, eliminating interference when multiple devices operate in close proximity
- Dedicated service-data blocks hold device-specific data including product ID, location and serial number
- Visible LED indicators enable sensors to self-identify on demand, simplifying commissioning and trouble-shooting routines
- Industry-standard -25°C to +70°C operating range
How to minimize downtime without risking costly breakdowns? It’s the dilemma faced by engineers worldwide, in sectors that include heavy industry, mining, marine engineering, oil and gas, green energy and rail operations. Equipment with mission-critical rotating elements is typically at risk from bearing failure, generally evidenced in its early stages by increased levels of vibration and a rise in bearing temperature.
Timely and effective maintenance is the answer, but optimizing the scope and the cost isn’t easy – which is why condition-based monitoring (CBM) has become the preferred approach for cost-effective maintenance operations. CBM uses sensor technology to extract real-time data from machinery, developing a performance profile that identifies potential failures before they bring operations to a grinding halt.
Designers face conflicting objectives: to collect as much data as possible, often from remotely located or inaccessible equipment, while keeping cost and complexity to a sensible minimum. Key parameters typically include vibration, deflection, temperature and operating hours – all potential indicators of an imminent breakdown. Specifying multiple sensors meets the data-collection needs, but is a costly approach, often requiring significant compromise in mechanical design.
Using multi-function technology, Contrinex Multi-Mode Smart Sensors meet the requirements without compromise. A single Smart Sensor monitors multiple parameters including deflection, vibration, temperature, linear position, angular displacement and cycle count. Each of these measurements may be reported as process data or event data, while cumulative operating parameters are recorded in on-board storage.
User-defined operating modes allow a single sensor variant to provide a range of functions on a piece of rotating machinery. Mounted in either a bearing housing or adjacent to a shaft, a sensor monitors unexpected levels of vibration, increased bearing temperature or irregular radial deflections of the shaft. IO-Link functionality ensures plug-and-play sensor replacement, without any loss of functionality and without any need for reconfiguration.
Dual-channel operation is another valuable feature of the Smart Sensor range. Should a critical event occur, the sensor delivers a high-speed notification directly to the control system, bypassing the IO-Link communications channel and initiating a shut-down sequence immediately. This avoids further, costly damage and minimizes subsequent process down-time.
Smart Sensors are exceptionally reliable – ideal for installation in remote locations where day-to-day access is impossible. In wind turbines, railroad cars, draglines, marine powerplants, paper mills, drilling platforms, construction plant, heavy-duty pumps and a host of similar installations, these highly versatile sensors tick all the boxes.
Contrinex inductive Smart Sensors are designed with the needs of OEMs and system integrators in mind and provide an unobtrusive fit-and-forget solution. For flexible, cost-effective CBM solutions that maximize data availability without adding complexity, Contrinex Multi-Mode Smart Sensors deliver complete peace of mind.